Keokuk Municipal 
       Waterworks
                Est. 1938

 


About    the    Waterworks 



In 1877 William Stripe's concern for safe drinking water led him to found a private company to be known as the Keokuk Waterworks, to provide for the gathering and treatment of the waters of the Mississippi River for distribution to the citizens and industries of the growing, prospering city of Keokuk. The Keokuk Waterworks continued in private ownership until 1938 when the company was purchased by the City of Keokuk. The vote to acquire the water company called for the company to be owned by the City and managed by an independent Board of Trustees, the members of the board to be proposed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council. Subsequently, in 1938, a new treatment building with four settling basins and two filters and a million gallon elevated storage tower were constructed. Additional improvements were added in 1959, 1963 and 1979. In 1995 improvements began to replace the older treatment facilities with an entirely new treatment plant. Phase 1 of this plant included a 14 million gallon per day treatment process. Phase 2 added ultra-filter membranes replacing the conventional sand- filters.  

 

 

                                                             

Managed By: Keokuk Municipal 

Waterworks

20 N. 4th St. P.O. Box 10

Keokuk, IA 

52632

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software